Monday 28 April 2008

Day 8: Return to HIT

Well I decided to bite the bullet and just jump in and go for it today, possibly a bit too early as I struggled with it today. that said though it should accelerate my return to fitness.

I opted to go for the incline HIT workout which is usually 20 minutes at a speed of 10 kph and 1 minute intervals switching between the following gradients: 1 %, 3%, 6% 9%. So you basically do this sequence 5 times. I managed it twice today before I needed to start adapting it. I managed the full 20 minutes but I tweaked the speed down to 6 kph on the 1% incline and then kept the 9% incline on 6% for the next 2 and then on the final 9% I ran this at 10 kph for about 25 seconds and then reduced to 5 kph. All in all I burned 301 calories in 20 minutes and I usually burn 350 ish.

I won't lie I was disappointed at not being able to complete the full 20 minutes but the lack of serious training and the recent sinusitis are paying their toll. Still it gives me a good starting point moving forward to aim at improving each session.

I will be going for a run outside tomorrow night weather permitting and then hitting the weights. Most of the aches have subsided now which is nice.

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

Otter Christy said...

Wow! I am still impressed at how fast you can run. I'll race you one day. But not anytime soon. :)

Andrew said...

Thanks Christy but I have got some way to go before I get back to the fitness levels I reached at the end of 2007 but I will get there.

Wouldn't that be amazing to be able to go for a run together. If you are in the UK then let me know and we can go for a run or a walk!!

Take care,

Andrew