Wednesday 30 April 2008

Day 10: Speed HIT session

Whooaaa that was a tough one but based on my current fitness levels I am really pleased with my accomplishment today. I returned back to my speed HIT session which I used to do very regularly and had built up over time. I have not performed this session this year to date so was unsure of what the results would be.

I did reset this back to my baseline. It is speed increased at 1 minute intervals and it is run 5 times so for a total of 20 minutes:

1 minute at 6 kph
1 minute at 12 kph
1 minute at 14 kph
1 minute at 16 kph then return to start

I completed 3 of these as per planned and on the 4th and 5th cycles I had to drop the final speed of 16kph to 14 kph. I did complete all five cycles and just dropped those 2 speeds. Based on my Monday HIT session I was really pleased at what I achieved here. Again I may have been a bit ambitious jumping into this today but it gives me a solid baseline to move forward from and it is only going to improve my fitness levels more quickly and get me back in shape faster.

I was thinking of lowering the baseline set-up at the start but decided against this for the above reasons and am glad that I kept it as is despite almost collapsing at the end of the session.

My recovery was still relatively fast though which I was also pleased with. After this I went back to my still aching abs and did another abs session to completion. Still tough but I am pushing my training sessions each time.

I have not stepped on the scales since Day 1 yet, as I said I am not going to get too hung up with stats this time around but I will do a weigh in probably every 2 weeks to coincide with my pictures.

Until tomorrow...

4 comments:

Joni said...

Congrats on getting back to consistency and that your workouts are starting to pay off. Isn't it horrible how fast things backslide? Well you are back at it so I'm sure you will catch back up faster since you've been there before. Talk to you soon!

Mike Groom said...

Hey Andrew - that session looks pretty hard to me. Not sure I could do it. Great work!

Otter Christy said...

Hey there Andrew! You got back up to speed (LITERALLY) in almost no time. I think it's a good idea to keep the stats simple when you're pressed for time. So glad you're back. :)

Andrew said...

Hey Joni, It is amazing how quickly the body can degrade yet how slow it is to improve. I hope so too and that is the plan.

Hey Mike, It was real hard but I was going much faster 4 months ago so stay tuned to see the speeds I achieve in 20 weeks!!

Hey Christy, Well nearly, I am some way off 18 kph yet which I think I was just ouching end of 2007 but that was at the end of 20 weeks of hard shredding. Thakns I'm glad to be back.

Take care all of you,

Andrew