Friday 14 November 2008

Day 208: Danny's Goal

Christmas Challenge Day 12

Couldn't decide what to do today so thought I'd borrow someone else's goal to start with, hope you don't mind Danny!

So one of Danny's many goals is to run 1.5 miles (2.4 kms) in 8m 55s. Now that is very tough, sub 6 minute miles. I knew there was no way I was going to get that time so the goal was to see how close I could get. Also please note this is on a running machine so outdoor times would certainly differ.

I thought I would do a few minutes light running to warm up for this one as it was basically going to be a sprint. Took a short breather and then set-up up the treadmill and pushed the speed up to 14.5 kph, IPOD on teeth gritted, this was gonna be a hard one especially after that incline work yesterday.

Once I hit the 1 mile (1.6km) mark I knew I was going to make it so as soon as I hit 2km I pushed the speed to 15kph and then again when I hit 2.2km I pushed it up to 16kph for the last 200 metres. I missed out on 10 minutes by 1 second, I was gutted, I really wanted to bring it in under 10 minutes, but with that said 10m 01s for my first attempt I was pretty pleased.

Just as a comparison, in order to get inside Danny's goal time I would need to run at about 16.1 kph for the whole 8m 55s, 16kph would bring a 6 minute mile.

I really enjoyed it so I will definitely try that one again in the future. I then went on and did a 2000m row but it was slow compared to my normal ones but my legs from the incline yesterday then the 1.5 miler were getting pretty shot by now. I followed that with 10 minutes on the cross trainer just to completely destroy my legs and finished with a gruelling abs routine.

I have to admit I am wiped out from this weeks training now. So that completes my first 2 weeks and true to my words not one of the workouts has been a complete duplication of another. They have all been tweaked so that they are unique and hence hopefully my body does not get used to any one particular thing.

Rest day tomorrow and boy do I need it.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: