Friday 2 November 2007

Day 33: HIT from HELL

It was party night last night and I said that I would have no more than 2 pints and 1 plate of food and I stuck to my word doing just that. It was not the healthiest meal I have ever eaten but it was my only cheat meal for 2 weeks! I was careful though, I could have gone crazy with it all but I held back and kept thinking group shred!!

My legs are not painful anymore but they are still aching considerably so it was a real conundrum today. Do I give Adam's new HIT run a go or just do my usual??? I had to to one or the other as today is cardio, the one I do is pretty tough anyway so hey may as well take Adam's little challenge and see what it is like.

HIT From Hell

I asked my PT to set this up yesterday just incase I wanted to do this today so it was available on my gym key when I got to the gym today, I had compared it to my current workouts and I knew it was gonna be harder and tougher.

Did a lot of stretches first especially my quads as they were still aching. I am not sure if I did exactly what Adam does but this is my take on the instructions he left:

1 minute at 6 kph
2 minutes at 16 kph

this gives you 1 cycle and it needs to be repeated a further 9 times to give you a total of 10 cycles and a total of 30 minutes.

As usual though there is a 31st minute (after all I got the 21st minute idea from Adam in the first place) which is used to make sure that each workout increases from the previous. The 31st minute was also run at 16 kph which means for minutes 29, 30 and 31 you are running at 16 kph, for all you mph fans this is 10 mph, 3 minutes solid at 10 mph!!!

Well, if any of you have read the comments on Adam's blog for today you will see I posted up there how tough it was and boy it was tough.

Just to clear things up, yes I really had to concentrate in the last minute as I was extremely close to throwing up, I was fine as soon as I stopped, but running at that speed and breathing so hard does that to you. It was really tough, the last minute felt like 10 and I can safely say that if I had not had ALL of you behind me that I wouldn't have made it through that final minute.

So I made it I am still alive, funnily enough my legs were not aching straight after, I covered 6.6 km in 31 minutes and burned almost 500 calories, not bad for 30 minutes work I thought. Hopefully this will get rid of some of the more stubborn fat.

Rest day tomorrow and unlike last week when I wanted to workout during it, this week I am going to use it to the max. My body really needs a rest tomorrow, I have shredded to the absolute edge this week, 110% as I think everyone has and as a consequence most of my body aches tonight so it needs time to mend and repair ready for the final days next week, it will leave 4 more days of training for me as I will not get to the gym until late Thursday so will have to have submitted my pics by then!!

I'm beat now, I'm off to chill and check some blogs.

Until tomorrow....

3 comments:

Otter Christy said...

I have been clicking on your blog for hours, and I realize my computer cache thingy is screwing with me even when I've hit refresh. Boo Firefox, boo!

1) Glad to hear you're gonna rest. You so deserve it.
2) Did I mention you run super fast yet? Because you run really, really, fast. My brain does not even compute those numbers. Do people stare at you in the gym? I wonder that about Adam, too. With the skipping and all.
3) You helped Dougal get a photo in his comment thingy and once offered to help me with photo stuff. Can I redeem said offer now, so I can have a cool photo in my comments like Dougal?
4) Do you know any quad stretches that do not require standing? Don't laugh. I can't stand well on one of my legs and that's the leg that needs the stretch.

OMG this comment is all take, take, take.

You look, to show my American 80s-ness, "TOTALLY AWESOME" in your photos today. I am DYING with curiosity to know what you and the other "unknown shredders" faces look like.

I cannot believe you burned 500 calories in 30 minutes! Dude, when I did cardio in my physical therapy it was like a 30! And even when I was healthy it was not even enough for me to burn off the Gatoraide I drank. (which I never drank again).

I AM AMAZED. And your legs aren't hurting that bad. Incredible.

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

My legs are still aching but they are just aching now. Problem is it is lower body again tomorrow!!

You did but it wasn't always that fast. I started my training 2 years ago and I would run 2 miles on the treadmill and that was my workout 5 days a week but I would run it slightly faster every day, that started at about 12kph and at my peak it was about 14kph.

I have put the link in your blog comments for how to add your photo.

Try this web address: http://www.aikido-reading.co.uk/micro_site/stretching/stretch_14.htm

This is designed for standing but there should be no reason why you cannot do this lying on your front.

I have different reasons for not showing my face, I have no problems with everyone in the world knowing who I am except my wife has no idea I am doing this or even blogging as she is not a great believer in being fit!! So I would rather someone did not happen apon it!! Maybe one day...

Again when I started Iwas not burning anything like that for 30 minutes.

Take care,

Andrew

Adam Waters said...

Congrats mate, you have entered the "shred zone", keep this up and you'll transform at a rate that will astound you.

Cheers,
Adam Waters