Sunday 25 November 2007

Day 56: My very first workout

I woke up on Saturday morning with a crick in my neck. Not sure if that means anything to everyone but basically it's when you sleep in an awkward position. I don't think you pull a muscle but it is more like it is knotted. Anyway this morning it was still really stiff and twinging so I decided to do a cardio workout rather than risk doing any damage. I will talk with my personal trainer tomorrow and then decide whether and when to start the weights back up again. The cardio though was fine and my neck felt good afterwards possibly even it had loosened up some what.

Back to the Beginning

So today to keep in the vein of mixing it up I thought I would go back to the very first workout that I started with. This was back in 2005 and I kept a complete log of all the times that I clocked up. Back then I knew very little compared to what I do now but I was surprised looking back that I actually started my journey using a form of HIT. My routine back then was always the same 2 miles on the treadmill (3.2km) as fast as you can followed by some weights. Today I just performed the run though. Each day back then I would try and beat my previous time by 1 second or more if possible. A lot of days I achieved this, some days I missed out but it was something to aim for each day.

I thought it would be fun to see whether I could get close to my old times. I went to the gym not remembering my last time. Did a 5 minute warm up and then set the treadmill up for 3.2 km (2 miles). I knew it would need to be quick if I was to stand a chance so as soon as the time started I punched the speed straight up to 14kph. This is where is stayed and the minutes started to tick by. Funnily enough the first mile is the toughest. Once you have that under your belt you know you are not going to cave so you dig in and keep going. It stayed at 14kph until about 2 minutes from the end and I increased to 14.5kph and then on the last minute increased to 16kph (I think). The 2 miles came in at 13 minutes and 49 seconds which I was very pleased with . An average of 2 consecutive sub 7 minute miles.

I checked when I got home as I thought I had cracked it but my best time previously was 13m 21 seconds so I was not far away. I certainly did not push it to the max so I think I could have it in me to crack that time in the near future. Stay tuned to see if it does happen!!!

However that was not it ohh no. My mini goal over the next 2 weeks is to burn at least 500 calories in the gym each day, so during my final 2 weeks I will expend at least 6000 calories in the gym. Next was the stationary bike for 15 minutes at 5 minute intervals with the following effort levels, 6, 10, 6.

Finally it was the elliptical cross trainer for 10 minutes on an effort of 12 keeping the spm at around 140 -150. It was a tough workout but I felt good off the back of last week and I hope that I have now managed to kick my cold.

Wednesday it will be time for the next stats day. Even if I do weights now this week it will not be until after the BF test as I do not want them to influence the readout. So there is still all to play for. Last week I was still floating around the 13.5% mark but I was still not sure how accurate it was so lets see this week.

It was great to see that everyone posted up their pics today, I will get around to giving comments to you all tomorrow I hope. For the time being congratulations to everyone for shredding for another week.

Until tomorrow....

2 comments:

Joni said...

WOW that's some workout! I am a cardio hater so I do not see how I could get through all of that, probably not even the treadmill! Sounds like you are really pushing yourself over the next two weeks, good luck with it and I'll catch up with you soon!
-JP

Andrew said...

Hey Joni,

Thanks, as you can tell I am the opposite I love the cardio but find the weights a lot more boring. Yep gotta reach my goal by the end so gonna burn that fat out!!!

Take care,

Andrew