Friday 23 November 2007

Day 54: Getting the fun back?

So back to it again today, whilst all you people in the US enjoy your busiest shopping day of the year the rest of the world has been hard at it!!! I hope you all had a great thanks giving yesterday and great day today.

As I said yesterday it was going to be a longer run today and it is the first time I have run for 40 minutes in the gym for a long time and I have forgotten how much I enjoyed it . I have really been sticking to my training plan to the letter over the last 6 -7 weeks and maybe I have lost some of the enjoyment because of this so I think it is that time to mix it up a bit especially with the final 2 week push coming up.

Today's Workout

40 minutes on the treadmill, first minute at a nice walk in the park of 6kph and then up to 12kph for the remaining 39 minutes. To try and stop the body from reaching a steady state which results in a drop in calorie burn I stepped the speed up every 9 minutes to 14kph for 1 minute. Total distance was just over 8km in 40 minutes and 564 calories burnt. I felt fantastic afterwards too. Didn't want to push it too hard today and this was just right. I also really enjoyed it. I used to do this kind of routine all the time but have not done so probably since I started doing the various HIT routines. I need to practice what I preach a little more and start to pack that variety in to my workouts again.

I then followed this with about a 10 minute ab session. I felt really good all afternoon today and still feel great so it seems to have done the trick. It is my scheduled rest day tomorrow which even though I have had about 3 or 4 this week I will still adhere to. Then it is back to a mammoth 2 weeks to see me through to the end of this goal and hopefully hitting 12% BF and that will mean a loss of 6% BF during this session.

I shall then have a week off with probably some very light exercise, may swim for a few sessions and then I will have about a week or so until Christmas!!

I will get my picture taken tomorrow for the weekly shred and over to Adam as I will have no time on Sunday. Keep shredding, Alex, Bec, Christy, Debbie, Diane, Dougal, Joni, Lilla, Lynda, Massimiliano, Michael, Miriam, Sammy and last but by no means least Suzette only 39 days to go.

Until tomorrow....

8 comments:

Stu said...

A very impressive workout Andrew. Not only for the speed but also the time you ran for. Do you have something to distract you like music or a tv? I get too board looking at the walls or other gym equipment for that long. Enjoy your day off and really go go for it for your last two weeks.

Well done.

Stu.

Otter Christy said...

Only 39 days! I have so many feelings about that. I'll sum up with YIKES!

dougal said...

Well done Andrew, mixing it up always helps. You are really cardio fit man, that's good running or Cool Runnings as the Jamaicans say Mon. Stay healthy man. I kinda feel that you have really embraced the "lifestyle" and are in a great groove. I wish your wife could support you instead of doing this on your own. Yes we are here for you big time, but family support helps a whole lot more. You are a CHAMPION in our eyes.

YAY, BOKS VS WALES today.

Andrew said...

Hey Stu,

Nice to hear from you again. Always mate, I take my trusty MP3 player loaded with my gym playlist. All those songs that havea good strong beat and inspire you during workouts. It has been shown that listening to the right music whilst working out can improve them!
There is also a TV on it but I don't really watch it anymore.

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

Yikes indeed, not long is it.

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Dougal,

So right mate, it helps enourmously but it is easily forgotten! Thanks Mon means a great deal coming from you, I think I have too, I know I still have a long way to go but I have always tried to do it in a sustainable fashion without going to any of the extremes. Good film by the way!! My wish too but alas I do not think it will happen as I have already many jibes and comments about being skinny from my return from Scotland!! I am sure it would be easier but I have made it this far, I know I CAN DO IT, the shredders support has helped immensly and if I can do this with no support from my family then I can do anything!! I do have the support of my eldest son, at least from a fitness point of view as he is of the age now where he understands the importance of staying fit and healthy.

Take care,

Andrew

Michael said...

Nice job stepping up the intensity. Sounds like an awesome run. Glad it put you in a good mood!

Andrew said...

Hi Michael,

Thanks mate, it does make it so much easier when you are enjoying it!!

Take care,

Andrew