Wednesday 9 July 2008

Day 80: Rain, Rain go Away

Lilla, thanks for the fantastic Shredder + graphics, they are great by the way.

The weather was so awful today, it just kept raining and raining and then rained some more. i think I could have swum my using running route today!! Needless to say I went to the gym today and thought I would test out the Nike + thingy on the treadmill.

I had pretty much the same readout as yesterday. It over estimated my distance. I ran 7.3 km in 38 minutes today (had no more time, hence the odd figure) but the sensor stated I had run 8.84 kms. After the upload today I calibrated the distance down to the actual distance I ran so I will see tomorrow whether it is more accurate.

It is definitely dependent on your stride length and thus your foot hitting the ground. I finished my run today in the usual fashion with 1 minute at 16 kph yet this was the slowest part of my. As the speed went up my stride length increased and so my foot was not hitting the ground as frequently thus the sensor thinks you are running more slowly or a shorter distance.

The key to really accurate readings, I think will be to run at either the same pace for the whole run or to try and keep your stride consistent even when changing speeds (not too easy!!).

Still I guess it's all relative. The main thing is everyone is posting some great runs and that we are all getting or staying healthy, what's a few kms between friends!!

Until tomorrow...

6 comments:

KaliLilla.com said...

Hmmm... too bad the readings can't be more accurate regardless of stride. But at least we have something to track our runs and do it as a group!
You are moving up fast in the competition - awesome!

The badge looks good on you. ;)

Debbie said...

Andrew, mine was off too like yours but once I calibrated it was better. Hope it'll be better tomorrow.

Michael said...

Andrew, thanks for all the info on the Nike+ test you did. Great run by the way.

Mike Groom said...

good running there Andrew!

Otter Christy said...

I concur the badge looks pretty darn cool, too. Don't worry about having to comment on my blog. I know you've got a lot on your plate. You were there for me when I was alone in a room COMPLETELY without much human contact for months and months so you get a lifetime's worth of comment appreciation without any further effort required.

AND Yes, I absolutely intend to be swimming in money shortly and will be challenging you to a race (provided I negotiate the head start that I feel is fair) very, very soon. :)

Andrew said...

Hi Lilla, I have a long way to catch up but I don't think I will catch the top 5, I just haven't got enough time to put those extra miles in!!

Hi Debbie, Yes it was much more accurate today but I have now reset the calibration for tomorrow so that I can calibrate to my outdoor 8km run

Thanks Michael, will stop by and give you the low down shortly

Thanks Mike

Hey Christy, I'm glad it helped you out. Looking forward to the run, how about we just go for a jog together rather than a race!!