Tuesday 15 July 2008

Day 86: Comfort Zones

Lilla this whole post has come about due to you!!! THANKS.

Comfort zones we all have them throughout our lives, at work, personal life and our training routines. I am sure you can all spot most of your comfort zones whilst reading this post.

We all know the importance of mixing up our training to keep the body guessing, but how do you know when you are stuck in a rut. Well I don't have an easy answer to that but what I can say is you will probably know you were in a rut when you get out if it!!!

I always try to improve my training and get better each time I go out. I thought this was mixing it up enough and that I was pushing the boundaries and to a certain extent I was just not to the max or my max. I have settled nicely into the 5km and 8km runs that I have been doing now I hadn't really noticed.

Lilla's post abut the marathon got me thinking. Now I don't want to run a marathon, just not sure I could concentrate for that long over that distance but i thought I would try to show some encouragement by trying to match the training schedule especially as this was something new for Lilla.

The plan today was to run 10kms rather than 8kms which would match the 6 mile Lilla will have to do and then tomorrow run 13km which would match Lilla's 8 mile run. Didn't quite go to plan, but in a good way.

I read Lilla's post this morning about her concert and the fact she may switch the runs. Never the less I set out on my pre-determined route that I had planned using google earth (this is great for measuring and planning routes). Towards the 7km mark though I started thinking about Lilla's post and then realised that I have my kids sports day tomorrow so no way am I going to have time to run that 13kms tomorrow. Oh well I thought not to worry.

I kept going towards the end of the 10kms and continued thinking!! Then I thought well, I have a 3 km route mapped out from the house so I will just run on past and then do the 3km route on top...so I did. I was pretty tired by the time I reached the house but past I went back onto the beach.

I finished and ended up running 13.43kms at an average pace of 5m 04s in a total time of 1h 8m 45s. I know I can go faster but this was the first time out but I was really pleased with the time as the pace is a 12 kph pace, 7.5 mph.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that at the end I realised that I had really pushed through the boundaries of my comfort levels today. I have run this distance before but not for a long time and the last few times have all been on the treadmill. I hadn't realised that my workouts had stagnated so much again. I was exhausted and my running gear was soaked through but I felt great.

Just ask yourself when was the last time you really went way out there with your workouts and changed something really major?? Many of you may do this regularly and I used to think I did but this showed me I need to go further every now and again. Don't get me wrong I don't plan on running 13kms everyday now but I shall run it again next week and will run the 10 km later this week.

Thanks again Lilla.

Until tomorrow...

5 comments:

KaliLilla.com said...

AWESOME Andrew!!!! You did it! You inspire me to keep going. Even though my injury will delay my training sched, I will be up and running soon!

Marbella said...

Andrew!! You will catch me now the day after tomorrow! Will have to walk night and day to try and keep up! You are one fabulous runner. Loved your blog. I get out of my comfort nearly every day as all those miles are not easy for me. The day I did my PB of 7.1 miles, I got the 2 blisters, and feel that am still tired. Maybe I need to stay a bit more comfy....so proud of you running so far and so fast!
Lynda

Anonymous said...

Great post Andrew,
The only way we grow is to push the envelope. How many people do you see in the gym for years, but never seem to make progres or change?

However, I don't think that is an issue for anyone in this blogging group! certainly not you!

juli gets happy said...

Andrew, AWSOME!!! You are doing so great!!!!!

I am happy to run with you!

Run hard!
:-)

Andrew said...

Hey Lilla, I hope your ankle gets better soon, but in the meantime I will keep racking up the miles of encouragement for you!

Hi Lynda, you are walking really far so it's gonna be some time yet till I catch you. I have quite a few blisters permanently but yesterday when I got back there was blood on my sock, looks like one of my nails has cut into my toe!! But it's OK was a bit sore yesterday and still bleeding a bit today but didn't stop me!!

Hi Larry, I agree 100%. It all depends on your goal though, some people are happy to exercie and not improve but at the same time they get no worse. Often I talk with people who go to the gym simply so they can go to the cafe afterwards and have a cream cake without feeling guilty. I guess that's their goal, to eat the cake without any consequences. We all make our own different goals!!

Hey Juli, thanks its great running with you too.

Take care...