Thursday 19 June 2008

Day 60: A new Personal Best

With Adam's intensity message in my mind I started my run today. I must admit I do train this way in the gym certainly with regards to my cardio and it has certainly seen my return to fitness develop much more quickly than I think it would have otherwise.

However it is much harder to improve constantly when training outside. There are no digits or dial to keep track of just a stop watch and if you can make some mental notes on reaching certain parts of your run and what the time is.

Anyway, I started out to really push today's 3.5 miler. I reached my first split about 30 seconds ahead of schedule after having the wind on my back whilst running along the beach and from then on it was on off gusts right into me. I kept pushing and didn't want to let the pace drop and by my second marker with about 7 minutes to go I was 1 minute ahead of schedule.

The last 3 minutes was really tough with the wind coming right at me and being pretty tired by this stage it was very tempting to just stop and rest. I checked the time and I was on for a massive time so I dug deep and pushed on. Around the last few corners gasping for air and the finish was in sight.

My last time I think was 26m 43 seconds and today I pushed it down to 25m 47s so I just missed out on keeping my 1 minute lead. I was exhausted but it was worth it to take off nearly a minute from my PB.

Until tomorrow...

3 comments:

Mike Groom said...

Very impressive Andrew!

dougal said...

PB's are really great and a super guage for your level of fitness. Well done Bud. BTW don't push that hard every time or you'llsoon understand the meaning of "Burn Out"

Andrew said...

Hey Mike, Thanks mate I was well chuffed.

Hey Dougal, They are and they are one of the numbers that I keep a close eye on. It's funny you should say that but I find it boring without a challenge so I always try to beat my time by a second if I can otherwise it bores me to a certain degree!!!

Take care,

Andrew