Friday 2 May 2008

Day 12: BIG Cardio...LOTS of Calories

Well it was slow and steady wins the race today although it turned out to be reasonable pace throughout. 45 minutes loaded onto the treadmill and then it was off, straight up 10 kph. Whenever I run I always have in my mind that I can increase the speed, incline etc but never decrease so I am cautious to ensure that I stick to this. It can be hard because I also want to get to the end of my workout and have given it 110%.


With this in mind I increased to 10.2 kph at 10 minutes, and then to 10.5 at 20 minutes and then as the timer hit 31 minutes it was time for the 1 minute increases. So each minute that passed I upped the speed by 0.1 kph until I reached the last minute and then it went to 12 kph. By this time my already tired quads from the squats yesterday were really feeling it. For the last 30 seconds I punched it to 14 kph and pushed it through to the end. I just missed the 8 km mark, I think it was about 7.93 km in the end.


By the time I had finished the 1 minute cool down and performed a few stretches my HR monitor was registering a whopping 812 calories burnt which was fantastic. Felt great pushing a long run like that but still some way off with regards to fitness but I can feel it slowly creeping back.


Bank Holiday weekend in the UK so it will be some home workouts over the next few days. 7 days ago I posted the first ever pic on my blog and today 7 days on the second goes up.


I hope everyone has a great weekend. Thanks to everyone new and old who has dropped by, it is greatly appreciated.


Until tomorrow...

3 comments:

Otter Christy said...

Wow 812 calories! I'll eat them for you. :)

Anonymous said...

i think i ate those calories in one "meal" yesterday.
i see changes in your physique already! keep going strong.

Andrew said...

It's easily done, I think I ate that amount and probably more earlier in the week when it was my wife's Birthday!! Thanks Suzette, hopefully with a few more of those sessions the fat will drip off!!

Take care,

Andrew