Tuesday 13 May 2008

Day 23: 1 Week in and I've NAILED it...

I was really pleased today after my workout, it was the last cardio workout for this week probably, maybe one on Friday but certainly 2 days of weight training now.

I couldn't resist taking another shot at my speed HIT session which I tried for the first time this year last week. As a reminder the basic session I use is:

1 min @ 6 kph
1 min @ 12 kph
1 min @ 14 kph
1 min @ 16 kph

You repeat this 5 times so for a total of 20 minutes. You can up or down the speeds depending on your fitness levels and if you go to some of my older posts you will see that this is where I started last year and it gets much faster. When I get a bit fitter I will start to put in a 21st minute and it is during this minute that I push it a but further each time until I up the main routine.

Anyway last week I managed 3 complete cycles and on the 4th and 5th I had to drop the 16 kph minutes to 14 kph.

Today I NAILED all 5 cycles at the stated speeds and I was really chuffed to bits with hitting this target. Don't get me wrong I was "dead" by the end but still some way off from throwing up which Christy never thinks is a good sign, hehe!! I must admit I do agree with her but have been close a few times last year when duplicating some of Adam's cardio sessions!!

So the week of cardio has certainly produced some awesome fitness results as far as I am concerned. Every one of my workouts has been increased day over day.

I am really looking forward to a BF test tomorrow to see what effect it has had on my body composition, I am nervous too though, I know it should have made a big difference because I have been 100% with my nutrition, no booze, snacking, sweets and that's no mean feet when the kids have drawers of crisps and sweets, they even have about half a dozen Easter eggs left!!!

The question is how much have I lost, I have gone down a notch on my belt which is a great sign so tune in tomorrow to see whether they are good or bad.

After my run I did a good abs session and ended up burning around 550 calories so not quite as much but still a good amount. Even if I get good results tomorrow I am still going to change my training for a week or so, I will still do cardio but not the long runs as I don't want my body to adapt like last time.

Until tomorrow...

6 comments:

Adam Waters said...

Mate, you are back! That cycle is is a toughie and I think by also losing a notch in your belt you'll have tangible results on bf%.
Shred on man,
Adam

Mike Groom said...

Great work Andrew. That run looks tough!

Otter Christy said...

Yes, remember my words. That vomit feeling UN-GOOD. Hehe.

You're back in business. One notch in the belt already. Good luck with your results tomorrow.

Debbie said...

I bow down to you Andrew with that cardio session. Unbelievable. Once I hit high speeds, I need total recovery before the next sprint. Awesome numbers!

Marbella said...

Good grief Andrew! You are going to whiz past all those marathon runners at this rate. So glad you are doing so well. Be sure to tell us about the results. If nothing else, that less notch in your belt is a great prize!
Lynda

Andrew said...

Hey Adam, thanks mate it was much harder this time around but then I was many months into training when I saw your workout and tried it not 2 weeks in!! All will be revealed soon...

Hi Mike, thanks it was but it can only get easier!!

Hey Christy, indeed it looks like things are going well.

Hi Debbie, You do actually get quite a bit of recovery from the 6 and 12 kph sessions, the hard ones are always the 14 and 16 ones or which ever speeds you substitute in. Hope your graph is OK now.

Hey Lynda, always great to see your comments. I wish, as fast as I think I am running marathon runners can reach speeds for durations I will never attain anymore but I will keep trying.