Wednesday 13 August 2008

Day 115: Tips for Running in Gale Force Winds

It's strange the decisions we make, yesterday I debated about going out for a run incase it rained a bit yet today I never even questioned going out running in the gale force winds and it was drizzling before I left the house!!

Any way back to the tips, you guessed it the wind was cruel today and by all accounts from the news was gale force!!

Firstly I would suggest seeking exercise elsewhere rather than going out for a run (note to self). secondly be careful with the wind behind you especially if running next to high drop offs (it's OK I managed to steer clear of being blown off!!). To increase the intensity of your run try running head long into the wind for a sustained period of time. You don't get very far but it certainly cranks up the intensity (I had no choice I had to get home). Avoid low branches as the wind has a habit of blowing them into you (only hit me once though!!) If you have to then go at times when there is no rain and especially avoid absolute deluges as the drops feel like hailstones (again no choice I had to get home). Try to stay clear of main roads as you also get hit by a lot of spray from the road as well as the rain itself. Finally make sure you change as soon as you get home to avoid getting cold and ensure you get your trainers thoroughly dried before your next run as wet trainers can cause nasty blisters.

All in all it was an experience today and quite tiring, at one stage I almost running on the spot. We have had severe weather warning and flood alerts in the UK today but it did make the run go by more quickly. It only rained for about 5 - 10 minutes but it hammered down but funnily enough it was still quite warm. Managed 8k in just under 42 minutes so the wind although it slowed me down it was not too much.

Until tomorrow...

3 comments:

Marbella said...

I always knew you were a runner at heart, but do take care. Bet with all that force, it was still amazing and you enjoyed being there. Thanx for sharing!
Lynda

Ron said...

It looks like you still enjoyed the (unusual) challenge there. Thanks for the tips. I'm sure it will come in handy for me sometime when I get back to (typhoon-prone) Manila.

Andrew said...

Hey Lynda, Don't worry I did and will continue to. It was strangly fun yes, made a quite a difference to the usualy run!

Hey Ron,

It was interesting I must say, I think I would steer cleer of the Typhoons though mate!!

Take care...