Thursday 14 August 2008

Day 116: What a Difference a Good Break Makes

I know that most people reading reading these blogs and writing their own blogs know the importance of rest days and the need for them but I did read a few days ago the need to take a whole week off every 8 - 10 weeks. I have not really heard of this before although I tend to do this anyway but not consciously knowing to do so. So I guess for those who like basing their training around missions the 10 week mission would be good as you can then take that week off. I certainly think my quads have grown significantly since I have upped the distance.

I must say though having an entire week off last week seems to have made a great difference to my running. I have put some weight on no doubt about that but i set my second PB this week today when I went out for my 10k today. I had originally planned a mid paced 8k but then it turned into a pretty fast 10k!! I think it was around 20 seconds faster than the previous time, that's the great thing with the Nike + you can go back and really compare each of your runs.

The funny thing is though that the fast I get the shorter the runs are reported by Nike +. Again they are pedometer's so if you run faster your feet will tend to hit the ground less so I reckon I will need to re-calibrate again soon as today was measured at only 9.77k.

Only a small amount of rain today and no gales.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: