Monday 18 August 2008

Day 120: Use Those Arms

Early post today as I have to go fix someones computer tonight, more viruses!! Got another 10k in today, have not checked the time yet but I think I could have gone another PB at 48m 55s, if it is it's only just but that's great after running a 10k yesterday. I did have a rather large portion of spaghetti bolognese last night so there was plenty of fuel!!

The last few days running though I have paid particular importance to the use of my arms when running. These are the "pistons" for running. Ever tried to run with your hands at your side, pretty hard isn't it but likewise just because your swinging them along side doesn't mean they are being put to the most productive use. Try different ways but generally the more you pump those arms the more momentum you will get, and if you can find that "zone" where you can get it just right it makes your running so much easier.

Anyway still need to map out that 12k run and I will go on it this week!

Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

Marbella said...

Andrew, could just picture you out there doing that Olympic marathon. You could you know! Do you think using my arms energetically would help my walking? I walk about an 18.5 minute mile on a good day, so am not flying by. I usually carry a bamboo stick to scare off dogs too. What do you suggest?
Spaghetti bolognese? Yummy!
Lynda

Andrew said...

Hey Lynda,

Now chance, I am worlds apart from the Olympic marathon runners. They run at paces for every mile out of the 26 that I could not match even for one mile!! Just keep moving those arms, not quite so important for walking as you do not have the same momentum but again you would find it much harder if you kept your arms by your side.

Take care...