Wednesday 10 October 2007

Day 11: End of Week 3 Stats

Well what a week this has been for Adam so far. I can't wait to see the news clip when it's released.

OK..so today is the weekly weigh in. Below is a reminder of the progress so far in this 10 week session:

81kgs & 17.9% BF (19-Sep-2007) 14.49 kgs fat
80kgs & 17.2% BF (26-Sep-2007) 13.76 kgs fat
80kgs & 16.0% BF (03-Oct-2007) 12.80 kgs fat

The goal is 6% BF loss in 10 weeks, 2 weeks had me to 1.9%. Well I went in the right direction this week but it was not a patch on last week:

79.5kgs & 15.9% BF (10-Oct-2007) 12.64 kgs fat

So this brings it to 2% in 3 weeks, so I am still on track to reach my goal. But what went wrong this week....? Well I think it was all to do with portion control this week. The week before the meals themselves dictated the portion size as they were mostly lean meats with large salads. However, last week contained a lot of home cooked meals where I could choose to a certain degree at least how much I could consume. These also more than likely had more hidden fat and carbs in than anticipated!

So I will continue being healthy and will get back to being very diligent when it comes to portion control.

It's funny last week I was really motivated from the great BF loss but this week I am even more motivated to make improvements next week although I am very pleased to see that last weeks measurement was not a blip in the curve.

Nutrition Plan

As promised if I lost BF this week I would start disclosing my nutrition plan. Well as with exercise this needs to be varied and continually changing to keep the body guessing and to keep it interesting and enjoyable.

Over the last 4 weeks I have been following a carb tapering / re-feed nutrition plan.Uhhhhh??

What this means is that for 3 days I taper the carbs that I eat during the day so in my plan I eat either no or very very little starchy carbs after my lunch. Just fibrous carbs in the form of a bit of fruit and loads of vegetables. Then on the 4th day I do what's called re-feed. Basically you can eat whatever you want and there are 2 outcomes at this stage:

  1. You completely pig out and binge eat and compromise all the progress you have made over the past 3 days OR
  2. You eat more freely, some cheat foods are allowed as well as carbs all day but ensure that rather than having a calorie deficit you eat your full quota of calories or only slightly more, thus not compromising the previous 3 days

On rare occasions point 1 may be the option, purely just because from time to time you do need to kick back a bit but these should be kept for special occasions and should not be a regular occurrence.

Point 2 has many benefits:

  1. You gain little or no fat on your re-feed day
  2. It prevents your body going into starvation mode as you regularly eat a full amount of daily calories
  3. By using this day to include one or two of your favourite less healthy foods it gets rid of the cravings and prevents the binge eating when they get too great
  4. The extra carbs will boost your energy levels so that they do not fall too far as they can do on longer periods of low carbs

So there you have it, it's quite simple really but I have found that it works well for me so far, especially as my evening meal is usually late 19:30 to 20:15. Limiting the starchy carbs at this time has really helped.

I will put up some of meal plans in later posts as this is what I have found hardest.

Oh yes and before I forget you need to drink loads of water, I drink about 3 litres of pure water a day, not including drink with meals and workout drinks, see Day 9 for further details.

Until tomorrow....

No comments: