Tuesday 16 October 2007

Day 17: Double cardio part II

OK, so day 2 of the double cardio. This is essentially the same as yesterday but with a slight push on the HIT run. I always try to increase the run slightly. Still trying to find the right mix for the incline HIT.

Today's Workout

HIT Incline Run

1 min at 1%
1 min at 3%
1 min at 6%
1 min at 9%

I repeat the above 5 times and today the last 1 minute was at 10% and then a 21st minute at 10% incline after. I still felt that I a bit left in the tank so I will have to evaluate for Friday's session. I will continue this routine for another 2 weeks and then change again.

Cycle (10 minutes)
5 minutes at effort level 6 keeping 100 - 105 rpms
5 minutes at effort level 10 keeping 90 - 100 rpms


Hand Bike (10 minutes)

10 minutes at effort level 8 (120 watts) maintaining a constant 70 rpms

Elliptical Cross Trainer (5 minutes)
I alternate this to work the calf muscles more, the 1st, 3rd and 5th minute are performed on your tip toes or ball of your foot.5 minutes at effort level 12 maintaining 140 spm


Being the second day in a row it really hits you. I find with the incline training it gives you more of an all round workout, you are not out of breath quite as much and I do not think your pulse rate goes as high compared to the speed HIT run but it gets your quads much and so makes the bike that much harder. I hope that with 3 weeks of this that it will improve my speed sessions though.

Another Stats day

Well its Stat's Wednesday tomorrow, we will see how I measure up to last week. This is the end of week 4 so almost half way there. I need to be at 3% BF loss next week to be half way to my goal!!! I can't exercise any more than I am so it is down to finding the right mix of variety in the exercise to keep the body guessing and also nutrition.

Current Fitness Levels

I would have to say that currently I am the fittest I have been in my adult life. I am running faster and for longer periods than I have done before and am lifting heavier also.

To give you an idea of the weights I am currently doing:

Hammer curls with the tricep bar at 31 kg (68lbs) x 10 reps
Squat 70kg (154 lbs) x 10 reps I can go heavier here but have just not tried
Triceps exercises are with 20kg (44 lbs) this is both arms at once for 15 reps
Chest flys are 12 kgs (26 lbs) per arm
Lower back I can manage 65 kgs (143lbs) for 10 reps
Low row I can go 65 kgs (143lbs) for 10 reps
Shoulder press 40 kgs (88lbs) x 15 reps

I also like to row 2000 metres and my current time for that is 6minutes 56 seconds but I have not done this for a few weeks now as it takes so much out of your legs that you cannot do the HIT runs!!

Now I don't know if the above is good on not based on others (comments are welcome I would be interested) but for me it is much heavier than say 6 months ago

In tomorrow's post I will give you the new stats and a brief analysis why I think they are good or bad and will also introduce you to a great and i think fun way to test your physical endurance every once in a while!!!

Until tomorrow....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so embarassed at how poor my own efforts at fitness are compared with yours.

I am well and truly "off-peak". Thanks for the inspiration!

Jack

Andrew said...

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your kind words.

I think it all stems from what you want out of your exercise and nutrition plan and what clear goals you set yourself.

I always go back to my goal when looking at my nutrition and exercise plans to make sure that I am always working towards accomplishing my goal.

Take care,

Andrew