Saturday 6 October 2007

Day 7: Rest Day

Time to chill...as much as you can with 2 kids running around!! No but seriously I really think that kids help you to relax in that they clear your mind of all your other thoughts, work problems etc etc.

No workouts at all today and I think this is just as important as all the trips to the gym. Your body needs time to recover, time grow and time to mend. If you don't give it this time then I believe that the results you see will take longer to materialise and more importantly you run a serious risk of injury which could set your training back considerably.

When I set his goal I was very clear with myself that I would not turn my life or my families life upside down to accomplish this. By this I mean I use no supplements at all, no protein shakes no creatine, nothing. I am not saying that these are bad or anything like that I just wanted to prove that you could reach your goal of fat loss without the use of them. I also eat fairly ordinary meals. Don't get me wrong I eat healthily and I ensure that I am in a calorie deficit in order to burn the fat.

I do enjoy a drink at the weekends and a few nibbles, it helps me unwind after a stressful week. I don't go overboard though and everything in moderation I believe will in the long run help you and this is what I want my kids to learn. There is nothing wrong with a bag of crisps but a chocolate bar but moderation is the key. My eldest son understands this quite well and knows the difference between healthy and not so healthy foods!

I will go into my specific nutrition plan in the coming weeks...

With regards to exercises I have found a great body building site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

This is in the resources section on the right hand side. I use it to keep my weight sessions as varied as possible. The site is excellent. There is a wealth of information in some of the articles and information on how to amend your workouts depending on what you want to achieve. The exercise section above is fantastic. You can search through all of the specific muscles groups and select isolation (one specific muscle) or compound (a primary muscle and one or more secondary muscles) exercises.

There are pictures of how to keep good form and also video clips to show you one or 2 reps. So there is no reason why your weight sessions need get boring as you can change them each session you perform.

Back to the gym tomorrow for another bicep, triceps and chest session. Must make sure to steer clear of the squats this time as Monday and Tuesday are the dreaded (but fun!!) double cardio!

Until tomorrow....

No comments: