Saturday 13 October 2007

Day 14: Rest day.....think I'll go buy a new t-shirt.....needs a snazzy logo on it.....any ideas anyone?

A much needed rest day today. Time to let the body rest, heal, build and relax. I said at the end of yesterday's post that I may do a short ab session but then thought back to why it is most people including myself take a rest day.

Your workouts are generally pretty intense, and they are important, right? Of course they are without them you would not be able to burn the calories which in turn reduce the fat or lift the weights that build the muscle.

Well the rest days are there for a reason which can easily be forgotten. Your body is not unstoppable and if you want to may continuous progress you need to give it that time to grow and recover from the stress that you have put it through during that previous week. If you don;t rest up a bit then you increase the risk of either burning yourself out, not progressing as quickly as you could do or most important of all cause yourself an injury which could set you back many weeks.

Since I started my 10 week personal training sessions of which I am now on my second I have been ill once which was extremely mild, I lowered the intensity of my workouts but it was mild enough to carry on with them. Touch wood this will continue. Likewise I have not had any injuries so far either (fingers crossed) none soon!! I put this down to the right balance of nutrition, exercise and of course rest, if you can balance them all (which is the hard bit and I am continually adjusting to try and find it!!) then you should see good progress towards your goals and remain injury free.

No comments: