Wednesday 31 October 2007

Day 31: The toughest workout in 6 months

So I awoke this morning again quite surprised (seem to be a lot of those this week) at how little pain I was suffering in my legs. Yes they were heavily aching, I certainly knew I had done a hard workout yesterday but they were not painful!!

So it was time for the gym, legs felt good by this time having been up and around all morning. Remembered to get my BF re-checked and then it was time for the HIT incline run.

HIT Incline Run

For those of you who are not familiar with this one, it is the incline that changes at 1 minute intervals rather than the speed. This is all performed at constant speed of 10 kph:

1 minute at 1% incline
1 minute at 3% incline
1 minute at 6% incline
1 minute at 10% incline

As with the sprint HIT you repeat the above 5 times which gives you a total of 20 minutes.

So this is the picture, a few stretches and then it was off, felt OK at 1%, not bad at 3%, 6% pretty good, 10% here come the jelly legs!!! Back down to 1% again, this is gonna be tough. So it continued minute by minute. So came the 20th minute and I was thinking OK this is it nearly there. BUT as most of you who regularly read know I always put in a 21st minute. Well maybe because of the tough workout yesterday I will let it slide today, my legs are really dieing here? Not sure if I can go another minute

So I used a shreddi mind trick.........accountability. I thought what I am going to write in my blog tonight, will I get away with 20 minutes or will someone spot it? Well regardless of that I want the best I can get from each session when I workout so I dug in for the 21st minute. Not only is there a 21st minute but the purpose of this is to always better your previous attempt even just by a small amount, well on Sunday I ran this at 12% so today I cranked it up to 13%, this was such a killer but I kept thinking about now, my accountability to you guys and also to myself, I made this commitment to Adam that I would shred hard for 14 days and I am going to live up to my word, as I suspect you all will and are currently.

The 21st minute ended and I was destroyed, I can safely say that due to the lower body weights the day before that that was my hardest workout in the last 6 months. So the run was over. I had a couple of minutes to catch my breath.....that's not the end of the workout merely the first half.

15 minute ab session

So I caught my breath and then grabbed the fitball and medicine ball and started the fitball crunches and oblique crunches along with various other no name exercises. Finishing with the forwards plank for 1 minute and then 2 side planks for 30 seconds a piece. I was exhausted but as I said a few posts ago also exhilarated!!!

Party tomorrow night!! So it will be a really short post tomorrow, it's my wife's end of year party, free bar, free party food....mmmmmm. I have saved all my cheat meals for this and next week to have in this one evening. So I will limit myself to 8 pints and 3 plates of food. Yeah right!!! But seriously, I am going to have 2 pints and not a drop of alcohol more and some food but I will go for the healthy food there and watch the portions. I have not had a cheat meal since the shred started and I will not have another after this until it ends. Moderation, that's the key and I have not drunk any alcohol for over 3 weeks now which for me is amazing!

Oh yes before I go, nearly forgot my BF re-test? Well it averaged out this time at .... wait for it.....13.2%!!!! So it looks like (and I still can't quite comprehend it) that the stats were correct!! I managed to lose 2.4% BF in 5 days!!!

Until tomorrow....

10 comments:

Otter Christy said...

A hearty congratulations to you on the confirmation of your BF stats. I love being right. :) That workout sounds BRUTAL. Just brutal. Very impressive--even more so, because Debbie did the math and converted your stats into numbers I know. Wow.

Smart move saving up the "reward meals." Look I used a word from Adam's video and everything. I like the term cheat meal, because it implies being naughty. ;)
Have fun at the party.

Debbie said...

WOO HOO Andrew!

Dang! You are doing awesome! Keep it up. Loved reading your minute by minute cardio description. AND - your bf% results are outstanding! I went up to 8.7 mph today on the treadmill because I thought of your 10.5 and thought surely I can beat my old record of 8.2.

Keep inspiring us!
Debbie

Sammy said...

Good on ya mate! Glad to see you pushing yourself for the 21st minute, gives me motivation to do my HIIT later on.

Anyway, enjoy yourself at the party, look at the big picture and enjoy life as a whole.

Have a good one!

Sam

dougal said...

Well done Bud, this accountability thing really works. I can see a difference in your pics already. Keep shredding man.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great workout! it does feel good to push your self beyond where you think you can go. Way to go! also great on the bf% test. it shows in your pics, too!

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

Thanks and it was but I just kept thinking about the next 7 days!!

I knew it was coming but likewise I did not want to go overboard like Adam said is his video. It's easy to blow thousands of calories when you drink and at the same time the body can't burn fat as it is dealing with the alcohol so there is a double effect.

So I will enjoy the party, thanks but I will be careful!

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Debbie,

That is fantastic. Doesn't it feel great by improving by just a fraction each time, keep going for it a few seconds at a time, doesn't matter by much you improve on each session just keep them coming. When you add them up over a week and then a month you will go wow I have gone from this to THIS.

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hye Sammy,

Thanks man, have a great HIT session, I have another tomorrow. Good going on those 50 push-ups by the way, a lot more than I can do in one set!!

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Dougal,

Cheers mate, and I in yours too. Isn't it great how supportive everyone is.

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Suzette,

Thanks, I am begining to notice some changes myself now!! It feels great when you really push yourself. Sometimes you forget and your workouts remain the same for too long but this 14 days really puts it all in focus!!

Take care,

Andrew