Monday 29 October 2007

Day 29: Stats day....two massise shocks.....

I have to start by apologising to Christy. Sorry for taking so long to post today. I have been feeling progressively worse all afternoon and was not sure if I would get the stats in today, I was just going to post something like please tune in tomorrow but I am feeling a bit better so here goes....

So going back to yesterday's post there were 2 things planned for today, firstly my BF stats and then secondly to measure my heart rate during my HIT sprint run.

Body Fat History

81kgs & 17.9% BF (19-Sep-2007) 14.49 kgs fat
80kgs & 17.2% BF (26-Sep-2007) 13.76 kgs fat
80kgs & 16.0% BF (03-Oct-2007) 12.80 kgs fat
79.5kgs & 15.9% BF (10-Oct-2007) 12.64 kgs fat
79kgs & 15.5% BF (17-Oct-2007) 12.24 kgs fat
79kgs & 15.4% BF (24-Oct-2007) 12.16 kgs fat

The goal is 6% BF loss in 10 weeks, 5 weeks (halfway) had me to 2.6%. This week has been no holds barred eat clean and shred hard (where have I heard that before?!?).

Sooooooooo today's stats and the first massive shock.

Today's Stats

78kgs & 13.1% BF (29-Oct-2007) 10.21 kgs fat

I could not believe this and to tell you the truth still do not. I did take 3 separate measurements and they were all identical. The week that I lost 1.2% above I could visually see a difference but this time I could not. Also there has been only 5 days since the last measurement. I am going to get additional measurements in the week to confirm today's reading and think it will verify this is wrong.

So what could have happened?

I have been drinking lots but it is possible that I was dehydrated today and this can effect electronic readings, this is one possibility?

I did a really heavy upper body workout yesterday and with handheld measurements I have proven (not on this blog but in the gym) that your BF measurement can dramatically change if you have performed a hard weights session, however this was one measurement before and another straight after. Is it possible that my workout from yesterday is still influencing my BF reading today? This I cannot answer, but I will be at the gym tomorrow evening (providing I am feeling better) and I will take another reading.

Also I am looking in a mirror when looking for changes but fat is stored all over the body so it is entirely possible I have lost it from say my back!

Just going back to the stats though, assuming this is true, I have lost 1kg of body weight but have lost 2 kgs of BF. So I must have also put on 1kg of muscle. Now don't get me wrong I was really pleased to see this but to have done this all in 5 days is just a bit too amazing. I have had false positives before without knowing it and they can be a bad shock when you realise that they were wrong and can really knock your motivation.

So Stats day will continue into Tuesday and maybe Wednesday....

Then my second massive shock

I wanted to get to the gym early today to do my sprint HIT run before my personal training session. As I said yesterday both my PT and I were curious to what my HR reached during this. I thought based on previous runs that it would exceed 220 bpm.

Today's Workout

1 min 6kph
1 min 12 kph
1 min 14 kph
1 min 16 kph

then

1 min 6kph
1 min 13 kph
1 min 15kph
1 min 17kph

repeated 3 times and then I final cycle of:

1 min 6kph
1 min 12 kph
1 min 14 kph
1 min 16 kph

and then comes the dreaded 21st minute, and today this entire minute was run at 17kph.

So any guesses to what my HR reached, I was shocked, it only reached a maximum of 188bpm. I was expecting this to be much much higher based upon the final 2 minutes and was really pleased as to how much my cardio fitness has come on in 3 years of stopping smoking!! My ultimate goal is not some much a physique transformation but I know that I will get it by reaching 10% BF but my fitness is what I am looking at overall so this was just amazing today. What was even better was that by the end of the 1 minute warm down my pulse was already back down to 160 and falling fast.

I had about another 1 -2 minutes before starting a gruelling 25 - 30 minute ab session, this was following by some stretching and then 10 minutes on the elliptical cross trainer. So all in all this was a BIG workout today with hopefully (TBC) some fantastic stats.

I will keep you posted and I am really sorry for the lack of comments on everyones blog today but I have really been feeling awful this afternoon, not sure what it is, there is a nasty viral infection going around the town currently so I am hoping it will not effect the group shred any.

Again I hope you all are shredding as hard as me and are putting in that little bit extra to see some amazing results.

Take care everyone and I will hopefully come see all your blogs tomorrow and enthuse you all!!!

Until tomorrow....

10 comments:

Sammy said...

Oh man that is SO great! 13%! Well, sometimes BF goes down but it just doesn't show you know? Besides, I can clearly see a difference between your Day 1/4 pics on Adam's site at the side abs area. Good on ya!

Unknown said...

Amazing man!!!
I are doing fantastic!

Anonymous said...

amazing results. sure hope they are not false positives. and hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

Joni said...

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well but hope you are better by tomorrow. Those stats are great - I know what you mean by checking and rechecking so hopefully you are right and it just was all the work catching up with you and giving you great results sooner. Even if they aren't as drastic as they seem, I'm sure you are still making progress and your goal will be reached soon! Good luck!
-JP

Otter Christy said...

No need to apologize, I just wanted to let you know I'm a very avid reader of your blog. :) I really hope you feel better. I'm feeling a little sub par myself. You're very committed to post when you are under the weather. As you know from my previous posts I SEE A DIFFERENCE and stand very confidently in the camp that those readings are true or at the very least not as false as you may think. I'll wait to see what happens. Take care!

Marbella said...

Dear Andrew, do hope you are feeling better and not sickly...take care. Am amazed at your blogs and how organized you are, and can really see your improvements. Sure looking good! do tell us how you are today TUESDAY...will be sending you healthly vibes.
Lynda

Andrew said...

Hi All,

Thanks for all your well wishes, you will be glad to hear that at the moment at least I am feeling much better. Managed to get up at 05.15am for the drive to the office today, normally I work from home so that is a good sign!!

Sammy - Yeah, it can be frustrating but thanks for the great comments.

Massimiliano - Thanks man you are doing great too. There are definately changes in your pictures.

Suzette - Many thanks, I hope so too but I would rather know this week than take a 1% drop next week as it is a real de-motivator. I hope your husband is doing better by the way.

Joni - That is a great way too look at it and that is what I am hoping for too, it might not have come down by 2% but it should still hopefully be a good decrease. Your looking great in your pictures by the way!!

Christy - I know you are and I am going to create some time to go through all of your blog this week!! I am going to blog everyday even if it just to say I'm still here!! Thanks, I know most people can see a difference. I suppose we are all very hypercritical of ourselves though!

Lynda - Many thanks, hopefully I will still be on top by this evening for my lower body supersets but I will see how I go!!

Thanks everyone, I will be round all your blogs at some point today.

Take care,

Andrew

Alex Anselmo said...

Nice achievement, Andrew! whether the readings are true or not, the main important thing is that your workouts are effective and you're losing fat. Keep on shredding hard. Hope you will feel ok tomorrow.

Adam Waters said...

Awesome Andrew, I said to you in yesterday's email that I could see lines developing on your stomach and you BF may be confirmation of this. Don't doubt it too much, amazing things can happen in a short period of time.

Adam

Debbie said...

Andrew, I am so impressed with your results. Even if the 13% was slightly off - you are still making huge gains (or losses LOL).

Great job in taking charge of your body both with fat loss and quitting smoking!

Debbie