Tuesday 30 October 2007

Day 30: It could have gone 2 ways today....

So I decided that due to my great results yesterday and the fact that I felt unwell I would reward myself with a few days rest and relaxation, few nice meals and fully recover, after all I lost over 2% BF so I can east a few cheat meals???

Well before you all post how arrogant I have been above, this is the first way that I could have started my blog today and one of the outlooks I could have taken on this whole process.

Hopefully all of you that regularly read this will find the first paragraph hard to swallow as it is indeed not the outlook I take on this whole process and indeed life. I had a 5.30 am start to drive 90 minutes to the office today and felt good after a nights sleep, after 8 hours or so I had another 90 minutes home, kids tea, eldest to football, wife picked him up, meanwhile I had the youngest in bed asleep so then it was time for the workout.

So in short, I could have taken the easy route, I had a good set of results, I was under the weather, but it is all about perseverance and continual improvement, daily accountability to quote Adam.

Now if had I been really ill that would have been a different story. As has been stated in several other blogs you do need to be able to respond to when your body does indeed need rest and if you are fighting an infection that is manifesting some bad symptoms you need to let your immune system deal with it, rather than burning all your energy at the gym otherwise it will just take much longer to recover.

Feeling Better

So as I am sure you have gathered I am feeling much better today. Don't know what happened yesterday but it knocked me for six but with no lingering after effects!!

Apologies if anyone was expecting BF stats part 2 but I was halfway through my weights when I realised duh! As I said yesterday it's not a time I would recommend to do a BF test during or after weights as it does seem to effect the reading quite dramatically.

So I think I may wait now until Sunday, as Friday is cardio and Saturday is rest.

Supersets Lower Body

If you are are not sure what supersets are then please refer back to my Day 25 post.

So today I thought was going to be quite straight forward and not too hard.....wrong!! As you may have noticed in my blog I do not really do many weights on the lower body. My way of thinking is I work this part of my body doing all the running, cross trainer etc etc. I was recommended to train my legs hard so I am trying it out. I did some testers last week but this was the real thing, 4 exercises that was it!!!

10 x barbell squats
10 x dumbbell lunges

1 minute rest after the 2 exercises then repeat 3 more times, a total of 4, then...

10 x barbell deadlift
10 x dumbbell step ups

1 minute rest after the 2 exercises then repeat 3 more times, a total of 4

Well before I was even halfway I was really feeling it and was initially worried about my HIT incline run tomorrow. Now having completed it I will just be happy if I can walk down the stairs in the morning unaided. To say I am sore is an understatement, I am having flashbacks to Adams video yesterday. But this is indeed what it is like when you engage new muscles in an activity they are not used to. It shows that it worked!!

On another note, I was squatting 70kg today which I thought was quite light but there were 3 other guys training on the free weights tonight and we were all talking. These guys lift much heavier than me on the upper body but do almost no cardio. They made a comment about the last time they did squats and not being able to work and then they were all having a go in my rest periods. I was amazed to see that they struggled, one of them was all over the place just in doing 10 reps and I did 4 set of 10 with the lunges in between. So they were spending all their time in the gym working back, chest and arms and literally nothing on there legs. I was really surprised!!!

So another hard workout today which felt good and I will see how I am in the morning, I am still going for the incline run no matter how much it hurts, even if I just have to crawl real fast on the treadmill.

Well it's getting late now and I need some sleep so I am gonna visit all you blogs and then fall unconscious somewhere, hopefully it will be my bed!! Keep shredding guys, day 5 has finished so we are now a third of the way there.

Until tomorrow....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you experienced working the legs with weights is so much differen than running. you do use different movements which will work the muscles differently, hence the muscle pain.(i am sure you knew that already)
glad you are feeling better.

Joni said...

Congrats on making the right decision! I know exactly what you are talking about and doesn't it help to have all of us watching you like a hawk if you were to say something like that beginning post? :) Hope you can stand up tomorrow, I am having some serious calf soreness as well - I have never been so conscious of all the steps in my house! It's a good feeling, though, you know you are working hard! Talk to you soon!
-JP

Otter Christy said...

Andrew, you didn't fool me for a second. lol The man who asked if we could forgo rest days, meticulously keeps his stats, and does pre-workout ironing, is just gonna kick back and take it easy. I think not. I'm not in suspense about your stats one iota, because in my mind they were completely true and no double check is required. I only slightly hedged my responses to appease you. I FORGOT to commend you on your AMAZING heart rate results. Seriously impressive. Glad to see you're feeling better.

Andrew said...

Hi Suzette,

Yeah, I have done some legs before but not to that intensity and the incline HIT runs also get your quads but your right this works all the little muscle fibres, hips, quads, hams, calves. Funny thing is my legs are feeling much better this morning. My body surprising me again, I was really expecting to struggle with walking today, of course I could be talking too soon and it sets in tomorrow!! It was certainly a great set last night.

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Joni,

It was actually an easy decision. It certainly does help having you all checking up! My legs are aching similar to how my upper body aches after a strenuos workout so nothing painful just that you know you did a good wrokout yesterday ;-)

Take care,

Andrew

P.S. Hope your soreness is subsiding

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

I knew it would not!!! Thanks for the support, I sincerely hope that they are correct and we will see in due course. It makes no odds in the grand scheme though, still need to keep shredding hard with you guys and I have my ultimate goal to reach also.

Yeah I think I was even more pleased with my HR than my BF as even though my BF is my written goal the by product of that is fitness and is also really important to me.

Take care,

Andrew

Debbie said...

Hi Andrew, I am so impressed with your cardio kph! We're still measuring Flintstones methods in the USA so I had to look up the conversion and you're running over 10 mph. Your legs must be flying!

KUTGW! (keep up the great work)
Debbie

dougal said...

Andrew, well done Bud for taking the right road, metaphorically speaking. Glad you enjoyed the LB routine ha ha. Know how you feel.

Adam Waters said...

Mate, that is a massive step you took today. This daily accountability thing has a way of keeping us all in check!

Cheers,
Adam

Sammy said...

Heya, you nearly got me there! Luckily you went the other way round lol. Wow, 70kg? I don't know if that's little but I squat like 45kg and it's already heavy to me.

Andrew said...

Hey Debbie,

I am not sure my legs could go much faster but I am sure I will be trying it in the next few weeks!! Yep your right17kph is about 10.5mph.

The way I look at it though that is roughly about a 5.40minute mile and I could not run at that speed for that duration yet marathon runnings can do that for 26 miles!! Still got some work to go.

Thanks for your comments, will be by later.

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Dougal,

Thanks and it was a real killer man even more so today on the HIT incline run!!

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Adam,

Thanks mate, is may have been a massive step but it was not a hard decision within everyone behind you!! Thanks for your continued support.

Take care,

Andrew

Andrew said...

Hey Sammy,

Thanks man. Guess then maybe it is from all the running that I have been doing?!?! Keep adding a bit on each week and you will find it going up slowly but surely.

Take care,

Andrew