Thursday 4 October 2007

Day 5: Low Reps, High Weight

Even though I am trying to lose fat and not put on muscle I have found that swapping constantly every 3 or 4 workouts either by adjusting the weights up or down or increasing or decreasing the reps helps to keep that lean muscle whilst loosing the fat.

Today's Routine

Only a short post this evening as I have a late meeting I need to take.

Well it was all about shoulders, upper and lower back and during the rest periods I was working my calves and quads:

Quick 5 minute warm-up on the treadmill, starting at 10 kph for a minute, increasing by 1 kph each minute so finish off at 14 kph. Again you should feel nice and warm after this but not be exhausted. Adjust the speed so that during a 1 minute warm down your breathing returns to normal, should around about 30 - 40 seconds into warm down.

12 x Shoulder press
12 x Incline Bench Pull
14 x Lower back machine
12 x Reverse Flys
10 x Calf raise - one leg at a time
10 x Barbell Squat

Have a quick drink and then do it all over again, no rests apart from a quick drink and stretch. I repeat this 6 times. Again I will not list the weights that I have used as this is very much down to the individual. I use the heaviest weights I can manage 12 reps with though to get the muscles stimulated.

That takes about 6 minutes per full rep so a 36 minute weight session plus the warm-up run. Your heart rate remains high though due to the lack of rest. Your muscles do get a chance to rest hence the order that I perform these in.

Tomorrow is Friday and if I have motivational issues it is usually Friday evening or Saturday.

Until tomorrow....

No comments: