Wednesday 24 October 2007

Day 24: It's Stats Day again....(Week 5) Halfway!!

Well continuing from yesterday's blog, this week has not been great from a nutrition point of view in the evenings that is, the temptation got me 3 nights in a row. This is the first time in over 14 weeks though so I am quite pleased that I have gone this long and also that it was not an all out binge, it was an evening pudding.

The main thing is though that I have not fallen off the wagon, you do need to kick back at times in moderation or you will end up having an all out binge or just get fed up and stop all your efforts. I believe it's about moderation.

Historical Measurements

81kgs & 17.9% BF (19-Sep-2007) 14.49 kgs fat
80kgs & 17.2% BF (26-Sep-2007) 13.76 kgs fat
80kgs & 16.0% BF (03-Oct-2007) 12.80 kgs fat

79.5kgs & 15.9% BF (10-Oct-2007) 12.64 kgs fat
79kgs & 15.5% BF (17-Oct-2007) 12.24 kgs fat

The goal is 6% BF loss in 10 weeks, 4 weeks had me to 2.5%. So I have already held my hands up to a not so great week nutrition. My new routine kicks in for earnest tomorrow also so I will be very interested on what effect this has, more weights and less cardio!!!

Today's Stats

79kgs & 15.4% BF (24-Oct-2007) 12.16 kgs fat

So at the halfway point I have lost 2.6% BF which equates to 2.33kgs of pure fat which is 5.1 pounds. I have also put on 0.25 kgs of muscle, not much but it is going in the right direction. Hopefully the second half of the 10 weeks will see a difference. It will be interesting...

Today's Workout

Well I was going for something very different today but unfortunately the treadmills in the gym could not handle the job. The Bruce Treadmill Test calls for an incline of 22% and the gyms despite being very good can only manage 15% so my PT set-up one of the Wellness internal programs. Feel free to have a go at the above if you have access to a treadmill that can handle it, just Google the test name and you will get the details.

Basically it is a test which measures your VO2 Max, go to this link for more information on VO2 max and a nice table to tell you where you place:

http://www.runningforfitness.org/faq/vo2.php

VO2 max is: VO2 max is the maximum amount of oxygen in millilitres, one can use in one minute per kilogram of body weight.

So basically the more O2 you can utilise per minute per kg the more intensely or longer you will be able to exercise. My VO2 max came out at just above 47, and I am in the 30 - 39 age group category. Next week I shall try this without talking and paying more attention to the intervals that are set. This test was conducted on a stationary bike but there are various different tests which can be found here:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

After this there was about 20 minutes of abs and then 10 minutes on the treadmill varying the incline and then the speed. So overall it was a fun and informative session today.

Go ahead give it a try.

Weight supersets tomorrow, confused about supersets, read tomorrow for a full explanation.

Until tomorrow....

8 comments:

Sammy said...

Hi andrew, it's my first time to your blog and just wanna say good on ya. It must feel good to see progress. unfortunately, the binge monster got to me yesterday, and it was pretty bad.

Well, good luck for the next 14 days!

Andrew said...

Hey Sammy,

Thanks for stopping buy. I answered you comment on Adam's blog, anything else feel free to drop me comments here.

I find the trick is have a little reward often, the key words here are little and often and by often I mean maybe every 3 - 4 days. However you still need to mindful; not to go over your daily colorie limit or or compromise all your hardwork. It's a tightrope.

What really gets me is ice cream and chocolate sauce, so I have a bwl every 4 days roughly and this tops me from having a major binge on that along with many other things which I have done in the past.

Hope this helps, good luck to mate for the next 14 day group shred.

Take care,

Andrew

Otter Christy said...

Hello there! Just heard your name on the roll call, and came over to wish you a totally fab 14 days. What an impressively detailed operation your blog is! It's so cool to see how everybody does their thing. My blog is full of girly feelings. I'll be checking in throughout our challenge! Shred hard!

Andrew said...

Hey Christy,

Many thanks for your kind comments about the blog. It is interesting to see how each person models their blog differently. The reason I did mine this way is this is the information that I could never quite find, different routines, techniques, fun exercises that also make a difference etc etc.

I have visited your blog a few times now over the last few weeks but will be visiting everyday over the next 14 days to offer and share support for you.

I hope you come back soon.

Take care,

Andrew

Sammy said...

Hi andrew, that is in fact a very great tip. I will implement it after my 14 days (my plan is to eat clean for 14 days). After which, maybe a cookie every 4th day or something like that.

Work hard, I'll be check in too!

Andrew said...

Hey Sammy,

Just remember though this is what works for me...and ultimately it will slightly slow your progress but this should be minimal if you stick to small treats and don't make them too frequent, every 4th seems to work best for me but experiment.

Take care,

Andrew

Anonymous said...

hi andrew. stopping by to say hello. will be following everyone in the 14 day shred. the vo2 max sounds interesting. will have to check that out. will check back with you later.

Andrew said...

Hi Suzette,

Thanks for stopping by, yes it is interesting and quite a good way to measure your fitness too.

I will be stopping by again today.

Take care,

Andrew